Friday, July 13, 2007

Daddy's Birthday Cake


My Dad turned 60 last month. I wanted to make something nice for him, but I had a really hard time deciding what cake to make. It had to be easy and simple and yet edible enough for the whole family. It's definitely chocolate, I decided. I went through my recipe collection of cakes. I went straight to my Hershey's collection. It's fool-proof, it's tested, it's definitely easy. The cake was (er...) a piece of cake. The problem was the frosting. I didn't want to make the same frosting I made last year, but there seem to be no other choice. I found a white frosting used on a Black Forest recipe. But knowing my family, I decided on the last minute to turn it into chocolate. I probably over whipped the cream, because it came out a little too bubbly. But nevertheless, it was something we all enjoyed.

I know I still have a long way to go when it comes to baking and frosting cakes, but I'd like to think I'm learning. It really does take patience... and perseverance. Someday I'll get there. Maybe not now, maybe not in the near future. But someday. The road to my dream seems a little bleak, especially now that my future seems uncertain. But I'll keep the faith. I've always been hopeful. It's the only thing I can really hold on to, anyway.


Black Magic Cake
(from www.hersheys.com)

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.

Frosting:

2 (250 ml) all purpose cream
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa

1. With an electric mixer, whip the cream until frothy.
2. Gradually add the sugar until soft peaks form.
3. Add the cocoa powder and mix only until incorporated. Do not overmix.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday for your Dad !
Smile
Kiss by orange

Daddy Cakes® said...

We were just surfing the web and saw your Dad's birthday cake - we are Daddy Cakes® and we make baking mixes including pancake mixes and cupcake products. Great looking cake and I'm sure your Dad enjoyed it very much.
Have Fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...