Saturday, July 14, 2007

Wine Cookie Bars

I guess because I'm not Italian that I didn't like these cookies. The taste of the red wine was very overpowering and yet the cookie itself is bland for my taste. Probably because the wine I used isn't of good quality. This reminded me of the beer bread I made last month, but the beer bread, I think, is better. Though I'd have to give credit to how easy this is. The cookies can be made in less than 15 minutes, no creaming of the butter, no mixing by machines. It can be made by hand in a cinch. I made mine in bars instead of shaping the dough in rounds like the recipe required. (I didn't have the time to bake in batches.) ;o) The texture was pudding-like and the color was brownish-purple because of the wine. I looks a little weird, but I thought it was pretty. I just wish it was tastier.


Wine Cookies
( from allrecipes.com)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and sugar. Add the wine and oil. Mix with a large fork and then with your hands.
3. Roll small pieces of dough between hands and shape into rounds. Roll cookies in extra sugar and place on cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes or until slightly brown.


Recipe note: I made mine into bars so I didn't shape the cookies anymore before baking. I simply pressed the dough onto an 8 inch square pan, sprinkled the sugar on top and baked it for 35 minutes.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...