Monday, June 11, 2007

Beer Bread

I wanted to make something nice for my Dad on Father's Day. Probably due to lack of decent sleep this past week and my own confused mind, I actually thought it was yesterday! So I went ahead and flipped through my new bread book for something manly and father-like. Beer Bread sounds like it. :) So off to baking I go. Luckily, this bread only calls for the simplest ingredients which I already have on our pantry (except for a bottle of beer that can be conveniently bought from a sari-sari store near our house.)




By far, this is the easiest bread recipe I've made since I've learned how to make bread. I've easily memorized the ingredients & procedure with just one try. It was that easy! I just made a little boo-boo (yet again :p); the recipe called for one 375 ml bottle of beer, what I've bought was San Miguel Beer which, I didn't realize, was only 320 ml. The batter was a little dry and kinda hard to stroke (it actually looked like a dough). But I think it was just okay. After it was done, we immediately devoured it while it was still hot. It was rich and moist with a bitter after-taste of the beer. I was a little bothered by the after-taste but my Mom and Dad didn't seem to mind. After about three helpings, I've realized that it was actually what gives a distinct character to the bread. It is what separates it from the others. It was time for afternoon merienda, I ate mine with a bowl of steaming hot chicken noodles. It was perfect. My Dad asked me to make another one again that he would bring with him to the office on the following working day. Not so bad for a little confusion... Now my only problem is: what would I make for my Dad on the real Father's Day next week? ;o)


Beer Bread

3 cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 (375ml) bottle beer, unopened
4 tbsp butter, melted, plus extra for greasing

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large loaf pan with butter.
2. Stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Open beer bottle and pour contents on flour mixture all at once. Stir just until combined.
4. Pour batter into the pan and drizzle with the melted butter.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 mins, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.


(Source: Williams Sonoma -- Bread, Copyright 2002)



Recipe note: I didn't have a large loaf pan, so I just used a 9 inch cake pan, which is fine. Just reduce baking time to 30-35 minutes.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...