Sunday, June 3, 2007

Irish Soda Bread

I was trying to make use of some milk sitting in the fridge before it spoils, so I decided to make this bread. I've had this recipe for quite a while now but never had the chance to make it until now. I was a little curious what the fuss was all about on irish soda breads because I don't think I've ever had one before. Anyways, this didn't turn out as I expected. It wasn't that yummy at all... at least for my taste. My Mom (as always) loved it, she said it tasted like puto. Richard said it tasted like bibingka. I agreed. But I'm not very fond of bibingkas so I didn't like it. It was way too eggy for me. I thought it would be better with more spice in it like cinnamon and raisins... but I might never make it again.


Irish Soda Bread

4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup buttermilk (or sourmilk*)
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. 2. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 30 to 50 minutes. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.

Recipe notes: *To sour milk, use 1 tbsp white vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup. The recipe calls for the dough to be rounded and baked on a baking sheet, but I pour mine in a loaf pan. Baking time should take a little longer if baked in a pan.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...