Thursday, December 27, 2007

Light Butter Cookies (Lengua de Gato)


I made these cookies last month. I was looking for something to bake, something simple and easy, something that wouldn't take much time or effort. Something that wouldn't require me a special trip to the grocery. I just wanted to make something! Anything! So I browsed through my cookbooks and I found this one. I remember wanting to make these cookies when I first bought the book, but then as usual, I had completely forgot about it. So when I had the time to make it, I didn't hesitate. Besides, like I said, it was simple and easy.


I've always bought Lengua cookies from my old school cafeteria when I was still a student. I remembered it crisp and light and basically un-filling. :) It was more of a dessert cookie for me than a snack cookie. When I made my own Lengua cookies, I was expecting the same crispiness, but mine turned out a little soft and chewy. I didn't mind that, for I liked it better than the crispy version from my school cafeteria. I also discovered that since I was using a piping bag, I could make different shapes out of it than the regular strips it usually comes out of. I was feeling a little romantic that time, so I piped out heart-shaped cookies. I even made "words" out of it, which was really fun! My Mom (as usual) liked it. (She's one of my biggest fan... haha) I also discovered that if you wouldn't consume the cookies immediately, it is advisable to store it in an airtight container, as the cookies tend to soften all the more when exposed to air. I have plans to make them again. Maybe next time, I can make complete sentences out of them. ;o)


these are for Richard :)


Light Butter Cookies (Lengua de Gato)
(by Norma Olizon-Chikiamco of Filipino Snacks & Sweets)

1/2 c butter
1/2 c sugar
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 c flour

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using mixer at medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add vanilla.
2) Sift flour and fold in butter mixture. Spoon batter into a pastry bag with a small frosting tip. Pipe 4-inch strips onto greased and floured baking trays or cookie sheets. (Alternatively, line cookie sheet with parchment/baking paper and pipe cookies directly on them)
3) Bake in preheated oven for about 7 minutes or until cookies have slightly browned edges. Makes about 45 cookies.

2 comments:

kim-free ads said...

You must have used too much egg whites. Its pretty obvious with your cookies.

kim-free ads said...

You must have used too much egg whites. Its pretty obvious with your cookies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...