Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Love French Toast!


Yes I do. And I've been craving for one since yesterday. I remember having my very first french toasts at the office cafeteria a couple of years ago. And having the reputation of serving really bad food, I was actually surprised to find these jewel of a bread on their menu for the day. I was literally swooned over! No kidding. Ever since that day, I had been on the lookout for classic french toast recipes, and I've found one at the ever-reliable Allrecipes.com which I used today for my breakfast. Having planned this breakfast since yesterday, I just couldn't wait to begin my day!

Mornings are just so sweet.

This recipe doesn't taste like the one I had in the cafeteria years ago... that was sweeter. This recipe doesn't have any sweetener at all, and my tastebuds were looking for that hint of sweetness. Nevertheless, it was still great! The recipe calls for thick slices of day-old bread, but we only have thin slices of store-bought bread, which made it a little soggy when cooked. But that's perfectly fine because my family just loved how soft it was to the bite! I also might've used a little too much nutmeg, because the spice was little overpowering on the bread... will probably omit it next time. Nonetheless, like I said, we all loved it! I wouldn't mind waking up to mornings like this. ;o)

French Toast

6 thick slices of bread
2 eggs
2/3 c milk
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
salt to taste

1. Beat together eggs, milk, salt, spices and vanilla.
2. Heat a lightly oiled (I prefer buttered) skillet over medium high flame.
3. Dunk each side of bread slices in egg mixture, place in pan, and cook on both sides until golden. Serve hot.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...