Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Breakfast Muffins



I've been wanting to make healthy breakfast muffins for a couple of days now, but my schedule has been erratic recently. =) I had time this morning, and when I checked the kitchen pantry, the only fruit available were bananas. I think I've lost count of the banana recipes I have -- from loaf breads, to muffins, to cake... So I just picked the easiest one, that only requires minimal ingredients.




For a healthier twist, I added half a cup of quick cooking oats to the original recipe, replaced the butter with margarine, and reduced the salt in half. It turned out dense (in a good way), not too sweet (which is perfect for breakfast), but still moist (which is great!). I was happy to see it forming the dome shape while it was baking, which rarely happens for me when I bake muffins, because usually it turns out flat on top. I might've luckily hit the correct oven temperature this time. =)




Banana Muffin 
(original recipe adapted from allrecipes.com)


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup butter/margarine, melted
1/2 cup quick cooking oats


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray, or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
  2. Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Scoop into muffin pans.
  3. Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes.


♥♥♥

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...